The One Where My Friend Accidentally Makes Fun Of A One Legged Man

Tricked you with that, huh? She did, I swear…and she didn’t mean to. But first we have to cover off on the early story that leads up to it.

Dallas is not a place you’d think of as a great place to celebrate St. Paddy’s Day. But oh my, is it ever. Every year there is a parade on Greenville Avenue filled with floats, crazy people, partiers and fashion victims.

Witness:

Some people **cough cough** dress their kids up.

Some people **cough cough** let their 8 year old daughters wear their Irish Drinking Glove. Hey, she’s drinking water so it’s okay, right?

Green hair and interesting hats were all the rage…

…as were fishnets and fuzzy green boots.

There were tons of drunk people on floats….

…and people to assist them later in the day.

Because jail really does suck. Not that I have any personal knowledge of that, mind you.

And then there was my friend Gretchen.

We sat there watching the floats go by and teasing people. We’ve been going to the parade together for 20 years now and we are not rookies in the heckling department. When a group of people in wheelchairs went by we reeled it in and politely cheered them on. However. HOWEVER. The guy behind them was on a bike. A special bike. A bike with the pedals up near his hands which Gretchen took as her opportunity to get back into the game and she shouted, “Hey Mister! Your bike is upside down!!!”

Which, yeah, it was. But she was so happy to get back to heckling she missed one key point. They guy only had ONE LEG which I immediately pointed out to Gretchen and Gretchen immediately began to die eleventy million small deaths on the spot.

I’m pretty sure he didn’t hear her because he never looked our way, thank God. I can tell you that Gretchen peered a little closer at her heckling victims the rest of the day though and next year, I’m fairly sure she is going to bring binoculars to make sure we don’t have a repeat of that little incident, God love my slightly near sighted, sweet little friend.

Erin Go Braugh y’all….Have a Happy St. Patricks Day wherever you are!

Comments

1. Suzy Voices says:

Love the pics!!! I went to SMU for college, and never even knew about the parade. Wonder if they had it way back in ’86-’90?
    .-= Suzy Voices´s last blog ..Work In Progress: Part 1 – Exercise =-.

2. Deemarie says:

The pics were great!! Happy St. Patty’s Day!!!! :)

3. Kat says:

I just died a million tiny deaths for her.
    .-= Kat´s last blog ..Dependent on Technology =-.

4. Gretchen says:

First of all, thank you for spelling St. Paddy correctly. I know, I’m pathetic.

Second, I want people to know that I am NOT the Gretchen who makes fun of the handicapped. ;)

I think it’s about time to break out the Guinness!

5. Gotchy says:

Third, I want people to know that I am NOT the Gretchen who always comments on this blog :) !!!

6. I would have absolutely lost it and nearly peed if I’da been there for that one. That’s freakin hilarious.
    .-= The Dental Maven´s last blog ..Jessica Simpson Doesn’t Brush Her Teeth =-.

7. I want a pair of those fuzzy boots.
    .-= Captain Dumbass´s last blog ..Bea Arthur and Wontons =-.

8. Jessica says:

my usual is to do nothing. sometimes I wear green but only b/c it’s my favorite color

9. the mayor says:

Your lovely green boa with orange flecks is the height of Irish political correctness, representing all sides of Irish heritage.

Love the glove.
    .-= the mayor´s last blog ..Look At Him Run =-.

10. Tell me you were toasted for that last picture. And if you weren’t, lie to me!
    .-= Sprite’s Keeper´s last blog ..RTT: Showing my age one carrot at a time. =-.

11. pamela says:

you’re a leprechaun.
    .-= pamela´s last blog ..question: =-.

12. Bobbi says:

That sounds like something I would’ve said! And I’m sure I’ve said something similar to someone in a similar situation. I tend not to think before speaking.
    .-= Bobbi´s last blog ..Doctor’s Office Humor =-.

13. Irish Gumbo says:

Ouch…yes, binoculars next time.

I don’t have an Irish Drinking Glove, I’m jealous :)
    .-= Irish Gumbo´s last blog ..A Case of the Vapors =-.

14. oh, I’ve done that. Not the heckling of one-legged man, mostly the “I’m so wrapped up in this joking that I will say something completely idiotic and embarrassing”.

Well, all is well that ends well, right? And all is green that starts green and ends green… as long as it’s not green with envy. Or vomit.

belated Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
    .-= Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels´s last blog ..Silence is golden. Or maybe it’s made of Swiss chocolate. =-.

15. Jan says:

When I was in high school I briefly dated a young man who was deaf. We were sitting in the bleachers at a football game when some friends of mine up behind us started teasing me (the boy did not go to our school). When he didn’t turn around, one of them yelled, “Hey, is your boyfriend DEAF or something?”

I thought she was going to melt right into the bleachers when I turned around and said, “Uh, YES.”
    .-= Jan´s last blog ..Guinness Braised Beef =-.

16. nothing like alcohol to bring about a little foot-in-mouth action.
    and nothing like a bad sentence to conjure up bad images. :)
    .-= Tales of Tree Hugging 2L´s last blog ..stress. like whoa. =-.

17. I’m feeling quite lame now with my complete dismissal of St. Patrick’s Day. Maybe I needed the glove.
    .-= Carolyn Online´s last blog ..What the eff, y’all? =-.

18. Doug Boscio says:

humongous entry you’ve hold

19. This weblog appears to recieve a good ammount of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It gives a nice individual twist on things. I guess having something real or substantial to say is the most important factor.