Blissdom ‘09 Recap…I Spent Two Days There But You Can Experience It In 1291 Words!

Ok, people….stay with me because this one is going to be longer than what I normally subject you to but it’s worth it to hear the goods plus how one published author totally embarassed the holy hell out of me. (Note to readers: Not Jen Lancaster…all the stories of how I stalked her and possibly embarassed myself to come Thursday. Sigh..)

After cooling my heels in the lovely Nashville airport waiting for my bags that took a different flight than I did, I made it to the conference just as it started. Let me tell you guys, if you have a chance to go to this event next year? You really need to. First of all, you just know that anything put on by Mrs. Fussypants and Blissfully Domestic is going to be as classy as it can be. Add in One2One Network and their founder Barbara Jones who comes from a long career in the music industry and you get all the glitz and glamor of being at a Hollywood Event…except in the comfort of the deep south in Nashville.

The conference was set up in two different “tracks”. Apprentice covered everything from blog design and photography to finding your voice and putting the best content out there you possibly can. Maven covered things like Affiliate Marketing (which blew my mind btw, did you know we can make a little money at this people? Did you?), branding your blog and even a panel on how to turn your blog into a book. Having been in online ad sales for 12 years, I sort of thought I knew everything (insert arrogance here).

Let me tell you…I didn’t know nearly as much as I thought I did and I walked away from this weekend with my head swimming with knowledge. The great news is, you can have an entire transcript and audio version of Blissdom ‘09 next week and I’ll share the link with you as soon as I have it. I spent about a thousand bucks between airfare, hotel and everything else…you can get it for $75. See? I just saved you $925…who said reading me wouldn’t pay off!

It’s really worth it and I plan to buy it even though I was there. I won’t share all the info but here is one little tid bit to get you thinking. When you post a picture in your blog? Name it. And try to name it something memorable that people may search for. By doing so, you’ll get traffic from Google Images….maybe not a lot but try it, it works. I know this because I named one picture before and I’m still getting traffic from it months later. If you want the rest of the goods, and trust me, this was a teeny tiny tip, take my word for it and buy it Friday.

Friday was spent going to a few panels and then a PJ Party and screening of Mamma Mia. Got to bed early which was a very good thing because the next morning we were presented with a special screening of Disney’s latest effort “Yanni Voices”. I need to stop here and tell you, I was really over my Yanni phase about ten years ago but this? IS HOT. They’ve taken some of his songs and put words to them sung by young HOT opera singers. I know, you aren’t buying it yet. DID I MENTION THEY WERE HOT? I know this because after the performance was over (large screens everywhere, floor to ceiling speakers…it was like being there), two of the singers, Ender Thomas and Nathan Pacheco arrived to meet us personally and take pictures. It was one of my proudest moments when I got to the front of the line and did not blurt out “Oh My God! Do you know I am old enough to be your MOTHER???” immediately upon meeting them. I plan to file this moment under my “personal achievement” category.

Ender? Time to consider a tryout for the next Twighlight movie, seriously brother. Special thanks to Ramblings by Reba for swinging me this picture since my camera went dead!

The next day was filled with various panel discussions and then? MORE HOTNESS. Up and coming singer, Chris Mann, arrived to give us a private concert. Seriously? I am also old enough to be his mother but I think I may be in love. Here….take a peek at him then CLICK HERE to listen to the super sexy voice that goes along with the picture.

You’re Welcome.

All of this hotness was followed by a keynote by none other than my very favorite author of all time, Jen Lancaster. Have you read Bitter is the New Black, Bright Lights Big Ass and Such a Pretty Fat? No? Go buy them now. I don’t think we can be friends anymore if you don’t. Really.

Go on. I’ll wait.

Back? Okay. Her speech? Was freaking awesome. I’d share more info but I’m saving an entire post for this subject later in the week. Trust, you will want to know the depths of stalking I went to.

That night, we had a little cocktail party with karaoke (anyone from Blissdom reading this can thank me now for not singing…) and I met a ton of bloggers. Every single person there was so nice and willing to share information. Yet again another reason you should consider Blissdom ‘10. Mrs. Fussypants sets a tone and everyone seems to follow it because, let’s face it, we all respect and lurve her.

Later that night, Mom It Forward threw an after party. I was looking forward to it, their concept is AMAZING. I say I was looking forward to it because I can’t say I actually attended. This is where one of my new very favorite people on the planet comes into play. White Trash Mom (who also has a great book…The White Trash Mom Handbook, which if you have not read, you must!) was standing at the door when I walked in. We met the day before when apparently I was wearing my “Please Jack With Me” sign on my forehead because when I walked in she belched REALLY LOUD. By really loud, I mean my hair blew back a little bit. That, in and of itself is not a big deal…but she did it at a moment that was sort of serious and quiet. Which would be bad enough but then she looked at me all wide eyed and said even louder….

I can’t believe you just did that!!!!!

Wow, thanks WTM. Dude, you are so on my payback list now. After grabbing her and dragging her out of the room (she’s quite small….wasn’t difficult at all) we stood outside and talked for over half an hour. She? Is the bomb and I think I’m a little bit of white trash in love with her.

All in all, Blissdom ‘09 was possibly the best conference I’ve ever attended and you have to consider it next time. Just think…you’ll get to meet me…and chances are, I’ll make a fool of myself yet again.

PROGRAMMING NOTE: (Still love this. Am important in my own mind.) I am posting every day this week except Friday which I know is more of me than you could ever want. Come back Wednesday for a very special edition of The Stiletto Mom where you will get an opportunity to roast me on my own site. Thursday will bring a blow by blow account of my almost professional stalking efforts as I tracked Jen Lancaster throughout the conference and how Dallas, if it is even being considered, may not be a good idea on her book tour.

1. Dorsey said:

Sounds like a BLAST for sure!! I’ll have to make sure I can take that trip along side you next year!!

2. Christina said:

Lucky duck! Wish I could’ve been there. I’ll be back everyday this week for your posts and will really be looking forward to Wednesday. =D

I named a photo “monster truck” and get lots of hits from google images - most of them come from eastern europe. strange no?

I love WTM’s t-shirt and pearls. awesome! you look so cozy like you are sitting next to your best cousin and she looks so confused like, “who is this crazy lady who ran up to me and insisted we have our picture taken together?”

4. PAPA said:

Between you and Anissa (hopeforpeyton) I don’t know who got more Lancaster Lovin’.

Great to hear your story!!

Hmm. I washed the kitchen floor.

6. Jyl (Mom It Forward) said:

We missed you at the party, but you gotta grab an opportunity when it comes and sometimes even and especially after a world record burp!

What a phenomenal weekend, huh? I’m still crashing from the withdrawal, but looking forward to the fun next year!

P.S. Thanks for the linky love! Mom It Forward “lurves” you for it ;)!

7. Lazy Mom said:

Money?! Tell us more about the money! Mommy wants a trip to Barcelona.

8. DeeMarie said:

I adore Jen and I’m so going next year in the hopes that she comes back and we can stalk her together.
    I’ll be back every day this week to stalk you too!!!!!!
    Much love!

9. Amo said:

You are soooo my favorite stalker. You know, if you are going to BlogHer (and I can get my husband to fork over the cash without doing any personal favors, you know, like laundry or dishes) then we can stalk her in her HOME TOWN. And you know what that means…heh.

10. pamela said:

Roast you? I’m going to have to go back and do some reading.

And yes, let’s talk about money.

THIS is why you are on my priority list in Google Reader!
    Well, now you are… :-)

12. Steenky Bee said:

So jealous. I’m off to buy those books, you know, to preserve our friendship.

13. HeatherPride said:

Hmmm, something to consider for ‘10! Can’t wait to hear all the scoop!

14. Mama Dawg said:

Sounds like you had a blast!

15. Renée aka Mekhismom said:

It was truly a blast! I loved the conference, loved meeting you and WTM? She is hilarious. I can’t wait to see you again - remember to call me when you are in my hometown!

16. Petra a.k.a. The Wise (Young) Mommy said:

That sounds so incredible I think I might have just died a little inside that I missed it. I am there next year with bells on and I am definitely going to go buy all that stuff you suggested as soon as I dig myself out of the financial hole I currently find myself in.

Do you promise to hang with me if I go? Pretty please?

17. Connie @ Young and Relentless said:

That sounds like so much fun!

I might have to try to make it to the next one! Can’t wait to hear more!

Every account I’ve been reading about this event makes it sound like it lived up to it’s name. Glad you had such a wonderful time, and thankfully, we can still be friends, because, in the last week, I’ve finally been able to dig into my reserves and read Jen’s first two books (which I’ve had since last June) and am now in the middle of the third one. Can’t wait to read her newest when it’s released in the spring.

19. Vintagesquirrel said:

It’s you!!
    I have been trying to find out your name since hanging out with you and all those other fabulous women Saturday night. Sorry I forgot your name. It might have been all those Sam Adams I imbibed…

Michelle

20. Allison Worthington {@fussypants} said:

I wish we had more time together. It was such a whirlwind!

Next time: me, you- dinner! :)

21. Krystal said:

okay, so jealous of you that I am green (or it could have been what I ate for lunch)

22. Dana's Brain said:

Man, there is so much I do not know about this blogging thing!!! Definitely will look for that link on Friday!

23. Beth said:

Well, I was planning to go for the people, parties and the drinks, but to learn something too?! I’m saving my pennies for next year.

24. Ally B said:

It was great to meet you and it was fun talking to you during “Mama Mia”.

And thank you for visiting my blog… I’m glad you enjoyed my story about my rented fish!

I can’t wait for your Jen Lancaster post! (I also stalked her… I’m glad I wasn’t the only one…)

allybspeakin.blogspot.com
    @AllyBSpeakin

25. Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said:

Yay! I’m glad you were able to use the photo. :)

26. the mayor said:

You are absolutely tormenting me! Please don’t stop now, there are a lot of us living vicariously through your Blissy travels.

27. Sherendipity said:

Fantastic! Sounds like a blast.

28. ShoozieShoes said:

Any chance of a tutorial on how to name photos??

29. Jenni Jiggety said:

I am so jealous that you got to go and it sounds like it was fantastic. And now I know I REALLY know nothing because I don’t think I know how to name a picture.

Looking forward to reading about the stalking!

30. Keely said:

After reading all these posts, I’m putting this on my “to do” list for next year. Seriously.

31. Magic Mom said:

Oh that sounds like so much fun! And Lancaster? Love her! I’ve read every single one of her books and still haven’t gotten enough. So very awesome and I can’t wait to read the stalking story!

32. anita ovolina said:

Sounds like so much fun. I must go next year!
    I must :)
    Ciao
    Anita

33. MommyNamedApril said:

I’m sorry, did I forget to mention that I’m SO FREAKING JEALOUS?! btw - really cool tip about photo naming!

34. blissfully caffeinated said:

Sounds like a good time! I will definitely check out Jen Lancaster.

35. Sammanthia said:

Save me a seat at the bar next year!!!

36. The Lawyer Mom said:

Great post, great tips. And for one bright, fleeting moment I felt like a REAL blog pro. Because I actually know how to name a picture. Srsly!

37. Poppy Buxom said:

Honestly, that night with you and White Trash Mom and Vintage Squirrel and Domestic Chicky and Jen Lancaster (what the hell kind of name is that, anyway???) was SO. MUCH. FUN.

Same time next year?

38. Cathy said:

You’ve convinced me — I’m there next year. But what did you think about Nashville? Tennessee is my home state, so hope you enjoyed the stay. And thanks for the blogging tips. I love sharing!

39. carrie said:

man, posting each day is going to killme but i will read, i am addicted. glad you ahd a good time adn saw a few hotties.