Who Are These Children And Why Are They Calling Me Mom?

I don’t know who these children are but they certainly aren’t mine. Yesterday, two children I have never met joined us for Thanksgiving dinner. Perfectly behaved, joyful even….and causing zero property destruction. I mentioned to a few of you that my in-laws house is decorated entirely in white.

Yeah, I wasn’t kidding. Guess what? Not a single paw print on that furniture yesterday.

We got through dinner without a single fight. Thoughtful blessings were said, napkins placed in laps and not once were the words, “THAT’S DISGUSTING!” yelled about food. Best manners were out in full force. I was so proud.

After dinner, Miss G played with her Grandaddy…

…while Mr. C morphed into a real estate mogul during a game of Monopoly.

They even let me and The Man relax for a few minutes.

See that suspicious look on The Man’s face? He totally wasn’t believing that this good behavior could last for any meaningful amount of time.

But it did. They are still on their best behavior today. Either they want something or they are secretly plotting against us….could go either way. Whoever these well behaved children are, they are welcome to stay in my house for as long as they would like.

And they can even keep calling me Mom.

Comments

1. LOVE when the good takes over the children…

2. Mine were exceptional yesterday, too. Nobody gagged in a violent display of passive-aggressive squash hatred. I value that in a child.

But today? I can’t leave them alone long enough to make a peanut butter sandwich without someone kicking someone else in the teeth. Argh.

Congrats on your good fortune.

3. goodfather says:

WOW! That’s like the best Thanksgiving EVER! Glad the kids were well-behaved, that can make all the difference.

Happy Friday!

4. Isn’t it great when they hide the dark side and then others can’t understand what you’re complaining about? Evil. Oops, was that out loud?

5. Katie says:

Ugh! It’s like taking them to the doctor because they were on their death bed just to have them bouncing around and fine once the doc walks in the room.

6. tuesday says:

THAT is something to be thankful for!

7. carrie says:

I KNOW they were not my kids!!!

8. DeeMarie says:

They look so well-behaved. I love Miss G’s skirt. TOO adorable! And so glad they’re still behaving today. Taking bets yet on how long it will last?

9. Jim says:

Woo Hoo! It’s a Thanksgiving Day miracle. Unfortunately they seem to have channeled all of it to my son….

10. Michele says:

Are you sure that wasn’t the wine talking?

Hope they keep it up until after the New Year at least. Wouldn’t that be a gift?

11. it does make one wonder what happened to your own. lets hope they’re ok wherever they are…

12. HeatherPride says:

Well we weren’t so lucky at the table last night, although it wasn’t horrible. Those kids are flippin’ adorable!!! So are you and The Man!

13. Cameron says:

Careful Stiletto…just when you start to let your guard down, that’s when they attack. They smell weakness.

14. Krystal says:

Oh now that is a T-Day miracle! now if only those body snatchers would have come to my house!!!

Oh and you and The Man need to get a room! That hand was a bit too close – shocked that picture was not censored! (YOU can so totally see where my mind has been the past few days! LOL)

15. Cyndi says:

Funny, the same thing happened at our little gathering – it was amazing. Did you drink wine, too, because I did…wonder if that is part of it?? Are they making deals with Santa, mine have mentioned him a few times recently ;-) Thankful for it, regardless – you have a beatiful family – thanx for sharing!

16. You do know they’re storing it up though right?
    You do know they’ll pounce when you least expect it, and then they’ll dish it out all guns blazing . . .

17. Robin says:

Oh, how sweet! Love that little tutu dress! So stinkin’ cute!Glad you and your family had such a great day. Happy Thanksgiving!

18. Beth says:

Did you have just the littlest of urges to eat pumpkin pie on one of those white chairs and have a little accident?

19. DCD says:

What an adorable picture of the two of them! Such behavior is a clear indication of superior parenting…and even if it’s not…I say take the credit anyway!!

20. Casey says:

Wow, I hope they stay that way forever, or at least for awhile. Love the pictures, they DO look like perfectly well-behaved little people! Glad you had a peaceful, relaxing day..

21. WHAT DID YOU GIVE THEM? I want to know NOW.

:-)

22. so glad it’s going well!!! great pictures. guess hubs is ok with posting them now? or is it our little secret?

23. vodkamom says:

Those are my kids. I sent them over to cheer you up. Now, please send them home.

24. CK Lunchbox says:

you totally have to take that where you can get it! The 5 y/o told us she was thankful for her uterus, while my 9 y/o told me tonight Thanksgiving at his grandma’s was awful because the food was “horrendous.” (actually, i would have loved to heard him tell her that).

25. Hey, I loved the pictures! You and the man looked great- how awesome that can really make or break a day.
    My kids were ok too :)
    Cheers,
    Anita

26. Braja says:

Also possible that their food was drugged. If so, it will wear off. But I’m going with the “plotting against you” scenario. Let me know how that works out for them…..

27. Look how amazing you look! Yes, your man looks highly suspicious of the goings on. Or maybe it’s just the combination of the turkey coma and the wine. I don’t know him, so his suspicious face and his “I’m ready to pass out” face could be the same. I can’t wait to meet you to see if your too much wine face is the same as your giddy face.

Kudos on the kids behaving. Careful not to brag about it too much. The universe with quickly change things back in order to punish you. Believe me, I speak from experience.

28. Your in-laws decorate in all white? I need COLOR!
    My kid was definitely at Thanksgiving. She kept calling me Jen, although I wanted her to call me Mom.
    Ooh, theory! Maybe the all white decor subliminally forced your kids to be perfect.. Maybe color makes them wild. The house we were at is full of color.. Hmm..

29. Lady, you are all kinds of gorgeous. Those are great pictures of your family. Sadly, I can’t say that my children were as well behaved. Caroline kept announcing, “I HATE turkey!” But at least we were at my parents and not my in laws. Things are much more relaxed at my mom and dad’s house.

I would be terrified to let my kids loose at your in laws white house. We stayed at my grandparent-in-law’s Bay Area condo one time, wall to wall white carpet, and the kids barfed everywhere.

30. sherendipity says:

Awww, look how gorgeous you are!!

31. Jayson Cezil says:

I’d come to agree with you here. Which is not something I typically do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!

32. I’d be inclined to give carte blanche with you on this. Which is not something I typically do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!